Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Tuesday 1 October 2013

LBSC Steam Crane

I am a big fan of cranes - indeed, when I have a play with some Meccano I normally end up building some form of winching device, so a few years ago when I saw this model for the bargain price of £15 I just couldn't resist it! It's an old model based upon plans in Model Engineer by LBSC for a basic toy steam crane.

When I bought it it had no jib, but that was easily remedied with a couple of bits of steel and 20 minutes with the milling machine, a hacksaw and a file. Still need to put some supporting struts to stop the jib from moving up and down, but she looks rather smart now. I fancy mounting it on a rotary base and using it on the garden railway - not sure how the scale will match though.


The Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment