Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Tuesday 22 October 2013

A Bin Shopping Surprise!

An interesting little story from this years Dorset Steam fair, this charming print of a gypsy woman was found in a bin on the last day, well when 'twas found it was a little more grubby and had only a white surround. Anyhow somehow I was drawn to it so I thought I'd nab it.

It was only when home a few weeks later I thought I'd clean her up and take her out of the frame for refinishing that I discovered that her white surround was actually the reverse of an early hand painted advertising sign for what looks like a removal and piano moving company. Looks to be f.baker, or possibly raker based at a 3 manor road, anyhow if anyone has any information on the company I'd love to know more.

Anyhow it seemed a shame to leave this hidden so I decided to use the front as the surround which gives the print quite a distinctive standout look in my opinion. I'll clean up the frame and eventually adorn my wall with this distinctive piece!  



The Carpenter.


No comments:

Post a Comment