Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Sunday 24 March 2013

Bearing Puller

As part of my uni course, we have to complete a two day workshop tutorial, one day on manual machines, the other on CNC machines. The view taken by the uni is to get an 'experience of the people we will manage do', personally, I think it is far more important than that, and that a manager shouldn't be given the job until he has spent a decent amount of time in each section of the works.

Anyway, we had to construct this bearing puller - it's quite a smart little project I feel. The tolerances it had to be made were within +/- 0.5mm - so quite a bit of margin for mistakes there! The main body was made on a big CNC Bridgeport milling machine which was quite a smart piece of kit...could squeeze one into my workshop I am sure! It was a very enjoyable couple of days to spend in a workshop full of old Bridgeport milling machines and old Colchester lathes getting my hands dirty as a distraction from all the mathematics and materials science I'd been doing!


The Engineer.



No comments:

Post a Comment