Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Thursday 17 January 2013

HMS Incomprehensible Part II

Here is a further photo of HMS Incomprehensible, this time showing inside the engine room. As the project was built in the condensed time available to construct an A-Level project, I decided to use a Cheddar Models Pintail engine from my steam launch. I constructed the boiler based on the Cheddar models Pintail design but with an increase in the overall length. To get the two propellers to contra-rotate, I made a gearbox using Meccano gears, sprockets and chains and an Aluminium frame. The double chimney pipework is something I am rather pleased with - this was made from copper pipe fittings. I never really got around to finishing the engine room as planned - the fittings on the boiler were never finished, and as can be seen, little paintwork was ever done. One day...


The Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment